CORDIO is recruiting a Research Assistant to be based in Mombasa, but with the requirement to travel. S/he will research different aspects, leading to the achievement of various project outcomes.
Qualifications and experience:4>
● BSc/MSc in Marine biology, Natural resource management, environmental sciences or related field with at least 2 years working experience in a related role.
● Demonstrated knowledge of marine ecosystems; coral reefs, seagrass meadows, mangroves, and associated species, marine protected areas and fisheries.
● Experience in data management and analysis using excel and other statistical packages e.g R, SPSS
● Can comfortably work in water and in and or around the boat; can swim/snorkel.
● Evidence of strong writing skills for technical and progress reports, peer-reviewed manuscripts, briefing documents and communication outputs (i.e. policy briefs, blogs). Knowledge of French is an added advantage.
Responsibilities and duties will include:
1. Support the training of MPA staff in different aspects such as data collection and analysis through the preparation of training materials.
2. Organisation of field trips, including preparation of SCUBA equipment and other gear, datasheets, sample collection
3. Support in conducting ecological and fisheries surveys.
4. Support in management and analysis of data
5. Writing of reports and contribution to scientific publications
6. Support in preparation of different communication materials including social media posts and blogs.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org along with a cover letter and a copy of your CV, a contact telephone number and the names of 3 referees preferably from your previous workplaces, quoting their email addresses/contact numbers properly and indicate the job title as the subject of your email.
The closing date for submission is 5th November 2021. Shortlisted applicants will be notified two (2) weeks after the deadline of submission date. The assignment is to begin in November 2020. Female candidates are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CORDIO East Africa reserves the right to accept or reject any submission